Re: Re: Initialization problem in a DynamicModule

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106690] Re: [mg106664] Re: Initialization problem in a DynamicModule
  • From: Norbert Pozar <bertapozar at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 04:52:45 -0500 (EST)

Hi Bobby,

but that's not quite the same thing. Yes, I expect Initialization
expression to be evaluated before displaying Dynamic. But if you look
carefully at my example, the expression is

SetDelayed[something, Print["you should never see this!"]]

So I expect, when this expression gets evaluated, that simply
"something" has OwnValues containing Print["you should never see
this!"], but the Print command doesn't get evaluated until I
explicitly evaluate the "something" Symbol. This is not what happens
with DynamicModule, because DynamicModule evaluates the symbols
internally. That can be quite surprising, if the symbols have side
effects.

Best,
Norbert