Re: More /.{I->-1} craziness

In article <hj981f$fo3$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> The success of such courses obviously depend on the enthusiasm, energy,
> and charisma of the teachers. To what extent does it depend on the
> computing aspect?
>
> In the absence of a controlled experiment, it is hard to convince
> skeptics.  Even the experiments that might be tried would probably be
> flawed -- e.g. two sections of the same course -- may be defective if
> the better students self-select to come to the "experimental
> computer-based" course.

Old (and well-tested) maxim:  "All educational experiments are big
successes for the first two or three years ­­ then they disappear
forever".

[Anyone on this group remember (or use) the Keller Plan for
student-paced learning

<http://www.mcmaster.ca/cll/posped/pastissues/volume.1.no.1/the.keller.pl
an.htm>

 ­­ and the hype it got at MIT in the 1970s?]