Tooltip text to Clipboard ?

I have an application in which various objects are displayed in a
graphic as rectangles.  To see their names I use Tooltip. What I would
like to do is implement a method to visually select one of them with
the mouse.  If there was a way to get the text label from a Tooltip
into the clipboard, that would do it.   I could then paste it into
another expression where I want to use it.

Does anyone know how to do this ?
Thanks,
John Jowett