Re: Can This be Possible? A bug in Set (=) ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110832] Re: Can This be Possible? A bug in Set (=) ?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 03:14:07 -0400 (EDT)

The problem isn't in Set, it's in SelectionEvaluate.  SelectionEvaluate doesn't
do what you think it does.  You think it's evaluating the selection immediately.
Instead, it's queuing the selection to be evaluated, and the actual evaluation
occurs after the present evaluation of cell4 is finished.

There are various ways to get the behavior you want, but none particularly easy.
I hesitate to recommend anything specific without having a better idea of what
the big picture is of the thing you're trying to accomplish.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group