How to *really* remove a symbol?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110881] How to *really* remove a symbol?
  • From: Yaroslav Bulatov <yaroslavvb at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 03:59:37 -0400 (EDT)

I occasionally run into a situation where a symbol refuses to get
removed. For instance I can do the following

ClearAll[appPlot];
Clear[appPlot];
Remove[appPlot];
Information[appPlot];
OwnValues[appPlot]

and it displays {}, and "Information" reports nothing for that symbol.
But then if I issue "OwnValues[appPlot]" in the next cell, it gets
initialized to some value I used for it before and I get
{HoldPattern[appPlot] :> ....

So far the only thing I found that fixes this is restarting the
kernel. Is there any other way of removing this symbol?
I'm on Mathematica 7.0.0 for MacOS