Re: 3D view direction

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110921] Re: 3D view direction
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 06:21:25 -0400 (EDT)

Use the ViewPoint option to set the displayed initial viewpoint.

For this particular function you don't need 256 plot points for a smooth
plot. You could generate fewer points to begin with or use the MaxPlotPoints
option to speed up the plotting and the mouse rotation. Perhaps, the example
was not representative of your actual function? If the regions where the
finer detail was needed were limited and localized you could plot the
function in pieces, using more plot points where needed, using DataRange to
coordinate the different pieces. Otherwise, you are just stuck with using
ViewPoint.

Also, on my machine the full detail image does rotate smoothly, but it just
takes a considerable delay before it begins.

points = Table[
   Sin[x + y]/(.5 + x^2 + y^2), {x, -1, 1, 2/256.}, {y, -1, 1,
    2/256.}];

ListPlot3D[points,
 PlotRange -> All,
 MaxPlotPoints -> 20,
 ViewPoint -> {-1, -1, 2} 5,
 PlotRange -> All]

There ought to be a way to use ControlActive to alter the number of
MaxPlotPoints during rotation, but I can't make it work.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: eric g [mailto:eric.phys at gmail.com]

Hello Group,
My computer is very slow with a 256x256 array with listplot3d I can move
the graph with the mouse or it takes forever, I always use arrayplot for
this but I need the 3D graph this time. How to set up a view direction
in ListPlot3D so I wont have to move it ?

ListPlot3D[
  Table[Sin[x + y]/(.5 + x^2 + y^2), {x, -1, 1, 2/256.}, {y, -1, 1,
    2/256.}], PlotRange -> All]

thnks,
Eric