Re: Mathematica link to a c++ lib

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110969] Re: Mathematica link to a c++ lib
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 03:09:10 -0400 (EDT)

On 14/07/10 10:34, tarpanelli at libero.it wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am not a Mathematica 's user but I remember it during my phd thesis about 8
> years ago . Now I am just asking you some feedback about the possibility for
> Mathematica to link itself to a C++ lib and use it inside the notebook.
> If I remember well there is a MathLink which can be usded but it is just for C
> files and it could give some problems with object oriented architectore.
> I would like to know if there is something news in v.7 or if someone in the
> group already has done this type of job,
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> Paolo

You would write a small C program that used MathLink to communicate with
Mathematica, and also called into your C++ library. This is a quite
normal thing to do.

Since you are not a Mathematica user, it may be worth mentioning that it
is even easier to communicate from Mathematica to Java - which is, of
course, also object oriented. In simple cases this can be done without
writing any Java code, so if your library has a Java version, that might
be the one to use.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk