Re: total newbie

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111057] Re: total newbie
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 01:06:26 -0400 (EDT)

You'll probably get scores of replies...  Two methods:

(1) If on a PC, use Shift-Enter.  (On a Mac, there's a separate Enter
key on the numeric keypad that does it.)

It IS documented, and in a fairly obvious place: From Help Menu, open
Documentation Center.  Now you noticed that you're dealing with a
_notebook_, so it's rather natural to click the "Notebooks and
Documents" section there.  The first entry in the expanded list is
"Notebook Basics"; click that.  Right near the top of the page that
opens (guide/NotebookBasics" is:

   Shift+Enter -- do a computation

Another way to get there: From Help menu (or from icon at top of
Documentation Center home page) open the "Virtual Book".  Obviously,
look at Introduction. First section there: "Running Mathematica".
Obvious next to click entry "Using a Notebook Interface".  This opens
page tutorial/UsingANotebookInterface", and near the top of that you'll
read about Shift + Enter.

(2) You used the "computerese" terminology "make the commands in the
file execute".  Think instead of a more mathematical terminology:
"evaluate" something.  So from the main Mathematica menu, select
Evaluation. You should be able to take it from there.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305