A Question About Directive

I have noticed the use of Directive in some of the graphics examples
from Bob Hanlon, David Park, and others. I am curious about this
command, since it does not appear to do much that is new. For example,
here is an example from the Help on Directive:

Graphics[{Directive[Red, Thick], Circle[],
   Directive[Blue, Opacity[0.5]], Rectangle[{0, -1}, {2, 1}]}]

However, if I change to this, I get the same thing:

Graphics[{Red, Thick, Circle[], Blue, Opacity[0.5],
   Rectangle[{0, -1}, {2, 1}]}]

So, what is the benefit of Directive?

Thanks,

Kevin