Re: Avoid the use of certain functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111076] Re: Avoid the use of certain functions
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 02:10:55 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Sam Takoy [mailto:sam.takoy at yahoo.com]
>
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to ask Mathematica to avoid expressing answers in terms
> of certain functions. For example, I [can't?] stand Sec, Csc, Sech, and Csch
> and would rather see Sec^-1, etc.

I'm with you on this one:  always hated Sec and Csc (and never
understood the backward naming of these functions -- why isn't Sec =
1/Sin and Csc = 1/Cos?)

So, I'd like the various Simplifiy and XxxToYyy functions in Mathematica to
always give precedence to Sin and Cos by default, and avoid using Sec
and Csc whenever possible, even if this produces some "1 overs" in the
output expression.

But I suspect trying to implement this at this point would require more
complexity than it would be worth.