What's wrong with this assuming?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111095] What's wrong with this assuming?
  • From: Sam Takoy <sam.takoy at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 03:43:07 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I have a situation where I have to simplify an expression that contains
x and h, but x is given implicitly by h, so I can't explicitly eliminate
it. So here's a simpler example that I'm trying and it does nothing:

Assuming[x^2 + x == h, (x^2 + x)^2+h] // FullSimplify

Is there a way to make this work?

Thanks!