Re: Scoping constructs Block, Module, ModuleBlock violate

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111120] Re: Scoping constructs Block, Module, ModuleBlock violate
  • From: Michael <michael2718 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 07:11:41 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/20/2010 4:55 AM, Istv=E1n Zachar wrote:
> I think the answer for your DynamicModule-related question is:
> DynamicModule *does not* wrap its local variables in Dynamic. It is
> never stated in the Documentation.

Ah of course... silly mistake.

I originally was trying to use the Block[] approach, because I don't
really want the full functionality of DynamicModule[] - for instance the
persistance between sessions, as this code is eventually going in a
pop-up window, and the inability to easily share the variable outside
the scope of the dynamic module.  But I guess I can make it work this
way... :)

I suppose the surprise of Block variables disappearing inside Dynamic
really threw me for a curve, and I am still puzzled as to what is going
on.  In my opinion if these two don't work together it really should be
documented under both Dynamic and Block under the "Possible Issues" section.

Thank you both for your help.

Michael