Re: how to create a mathematica package

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111201] Re: how to create a mathematica package
  • From: Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 07:13:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 7/21/10 at 7:14 AM, nma at 12000.org (Nasser M. Abbasi) wrote:
>
> >On 7/20/2010 12:43 AM, Istv=E1n Zachar wrote:
> >>I think you should also protect the public variables of the package
> >>at the end to prevent the user to overwrite them.
>
> >When you said the above, I made some experiments, and I think what I
> >need to do in addition to what you said is to also Clear the
> >function nam= e.
>
> >So, now I have it like this:
>
> >BeginPackage["foo`"]
> >f::usage = "f[x]"
> >Begin["`Private`"]
>
> >Unprotect[f];
> >Clear[f];
> >f[x_] := Module[{}, x^2];
> >Protect[f];
>
> >End[]
> >EndPackage[]
>
> >The Unprotect[f] is needed for the case when the package is reloaded
> >again, else one will get an error trying to define something already
> >protected (from the first loading)
>
> I've implemented the following scheme in packages I've written
> for myself:
>
> BeginPackage["foo`"]
>
> Unprotect @@ Names["foo`*"];
> ClearAll @@ Names["foo`*"];
>
> f::usage = "f[x]"
> Begin["`Private`"]
>
> f[x_] := Module[{}, x^2];
>
> End[]
> Protect @@ Names["foo`*"];
> EndPackage[]
>
> This approach saves the need to clear and protect each function
> individually. It also makes it possible to load the package when
> it has already been loaded using Get without generating errors.
> This last is handy when you want to make changes to the package
> and test those changes. Using Needs won't work for this purpose
> since Needs will not load a package that is already loaded.
>

> Hi Bill,

I've written a package some time ago called PackageManipulations which
allows to
"remove" or reload a loaded package with functions PackageRemove and
PackageReload.
It seems to complement your technique.  Particularly, after a given package
has been
"removed", it can be loaded again using Needs. I find it very convenient for
interactive
package development. It can be found here:

http://www.mathprogramming-intro.org/additional_resources.html

together with the notebook containing examples of use.

Regards,
Leonid