Re: mathematica gives strange result

On 7/24/2010 10:57 PM, SNC wrote:
> Im trying to find a solution to equation DSolve[-y''[x] +
> ((Csc[x])^2)*y[x] == y[x]/4, y[x], x] but mathematica gives me some
> strange result with expresion (-1+cos^2(x))^(1/4) in it. Why is that
> and how should i interpretate this?

You got back y(x), which is the solution to the diff equation?

If you have initial conditions, then you can also plot y(x).

Mathematica found y(x), which satisfies the ode. I assume that you know
that a solution to an ode is a function which if substituted back into
the ode itself, it satisfies it.

I am not sure I really answered your question or not. May be it helps if
you said what you expected to see, and why the answer returned seems to
surprise you?

--Nasser