Re: Substiuting variables within an integral

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111352] Re: Substiuting variables within an integral
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <alexei.boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 07:25:27 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, Ed,

there is a package "Presentations" written by David Park that contains
such operators and examples of how to do transformations of that sort.

You may also do it without the package (though less beautiful), if your
aim is simply to insert a new variable and see what is your integral
looking like before its actual evaluation. As an example try the one
below. Assume you are looking for the integral
J=Integrate[func[y], y], where func[y] is a function in question:

rule = {y -> q[x], \[DifferentialD]y -> D[q[x], x]*\[DifferentialD]x};
(* This is your transformation rule y=q[x], where q is some function *)
underIntegral = func[y]
\[DifferentialD]y                                            (* This is
the expression under the integral *)
underIntegralTransformed = underIntegral /.
rule                                (* This makes the transformation *)
Integrate[Rest[underIntegralTransformed],
x]                                      (* This finally calculates the
integral *)

DifferentialD[y] func[y]

DifferentialD[x] func[q[x]]
\!\(\*SuperscriptBox["q", "\[Prime]",
MultilineFunction->None]\)[x]

\[Integral]func[q[x]]
\!\(\*SuperscriptBox["q", "\[Prime]",
MultilineFunction->None]\)[x] \[DifferentialD]x

Be careful, the use of the operator Rest in the last line  of commands
is due to the necessity to remove DifferentialD[x], prior to substitute
the expression into
the operator Integrate. If you use a concrete transform instead y->q[x]
(such as, for instance, y->x^2), the order of terms in
underIntegralTransformed may become different, and you will need to use
another operator to pick up the necessary terms or to remove the
unnecessary one.

Have fun, Alexei

Hello

I need to do a variable substitution within an integral in several different
ways. I need Mathematica to rearrange the integral with the new variable
definition without solving it.   The resulting integral will be variations
of Euler function.  After seeing the resulting integral, I need Mathematica
to actually solve it for me (that is, Mathematica needs to recognize that it
is an Euler function).  Can this be done?

Many thanks

Ed

--
Alexei Boulbitch, Dr. habil.
Senior Scientist

IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan
11, rue Edmond Reuter
L-5326 CONTERN
Luxembourg

Tel: +352 2454 2566
Fax: +352 2454 3566
Mobile: +49 (0) 151 52 40 66 44

e-mail: alexei.boulbitch at iee.lu

www.iee.lu

--

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or
otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended