Re: Symbolic integrals simplification

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110157] Re: Symbolic integrals simplification
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 08:44:59 -0400 (EDT)

Look at the "Integration Steps" and the "Step-by-step Integration with
Student's Integral" examples at:

http://blackbook.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/~Peter/djmpark/html/

which is kindly maintained for me by Peter Lindsay at the St Andrews
Department of Mathematics and Statistics.

Otherwise you can write rules that will keep trying to evaluate the integral
but return it unevaluated when it can't. Or you can put it in HoldForm and
then try to manipulate it.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: guerom00 [mailto:guerom00 at gmail.com]

Hello everyone,

I have symbolic expressions like Integrate[a*f[t],{t,0,y}] and I want
Mathematica to write it as a*Integrate[f[t],{t,0,y}] i.e. whatever
does not depend explicitly on t is a constant which can be factored
out of the integral.
How can I do this ?

TIA