Re: Big memory needed

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110183] Re: Big memory needed
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 08:05:26 -0400 (EDT)

On 6/6/2010 3:41 AM, M.Roellig wrote:
> Wow, 480 secs vs. 45 hrs - really seems to be a major
> rewrite. Any ETA for V.8?

I doubt any one from WRI can comment here on release dates and such,
this is something not normally done, but we the users could try to
speculate on this.

As an exercise, I like to keep track of Mathematica releases here

http://12000.org/my_notes/compare_mathematica/index.htm

And looking at it we see the dates of each major release as:

V1  June 23, 1988
V2  January,15, 1991
V3  1996  (any one knows the exact date of this?)
V4  May 19,1999
V5  June 12, 2003
V6  May 1,2007
V7  November 18,2008
V8  ---->??

We see the gap between each release to the next goes like this (in
years), starting from V1 to V7:

       2.5, 5, 3, 4, 4, 1.5(!)

So, the average gap size is 3.3 years.

Lets make it 3 years?

So, one can expect V8 to be out sometime in 2011?

But if we are lucky, and get a small gap like that between V6 and V7,
then it will be out sometime later this year? However, looking at Dr
Wolfram's presentation "The R&D Pipeline for Mathematica" about some of
the things what will be in V8:

http://blog.wolfram.com/2009/11/12/the-rd-pipeline-for-mathematica/

My guess it will take a longer gap than that between V6 and V7, so my
guess is is for sometime in 2011 to may be early 2012.

--Nasser