Re: Number to string headed by zeros

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110305] Re: Number to string headed by zeros
  • From: James Stein <mathgroup at stein.org>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 04:08:02 -0400 (EDT)

I'm sure others will give better solutions, but in the meantime:

digitString[n_, w_] :=
  StringJoin @@ ToString /@ IntegerDigits[n, 10, w];

will return a string with 'w' characters representing integer 'n'.

You probably know how large a 'w' you need, otherwise this is more robust:

digitString[n_, w_] :=
  StringJoin @@
   ToString /@ IntegerDigits[n, 10, Max[w, IntegerDigits[n, 10] // Length]];