Re: Simplifying complicated expressions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110443] Re: Simplifying complicated expressions
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 01:25:52 -0400 (EDT)

Mathematica does not replace the expression if I put a simple 2 in
front of the first term, whereas most any human sees the simple
reduction that's possible:

In: 2 x^2 + y^3 - x^2 y^2 + Sqrt[z3 + y2] /.
 x^2 + y^3 - x^2 y^2 + Sqrt[z3 + y2] -> flxyz

Out: 2 x^2 - x^2 y^2 + y^3 + Sqrt[y2 + z3]

could be easily reduced to x^2 +flxyz

Cheers -- Sjoerd