NotebookDirectory for package (.m) files?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110454] NotebookDirectory for package (.m) files?
  • From: "M.Roellig" <markus.roellig at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 07:47:31 -0400 (EDT)

Hi group,

i would like to create an application package that included a data
directory that can should be accessable for commands in the
application. Of course I can hard-code the path in my .m file but what
is the proposed way to do this in case I would like to provide the
package to other users which might install the package in a completely
different directory?

At first I thought that the Workbench should offer some capability of
replacing Workbench$Path variables when the package is deployed to a
folder, but this is not the case.

I then thought about appending the data directory to the path using
something like
AppendTo[$Path, NotebookDirectory[]<>"/Data"]
in the .m file which fails because a package file is not a notebook or
has never been saved as on.

Is there any way to derive the installation directory of an
application from within the application?

Cheers,

Markus