Re: Lists: Row Vectors vs. Column Vectors. (feels

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110529] Re: Lists: Row Vectors vs. Column Vectors. (feels
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 01:53:43 -0400 (EDT)

Why stop at a special kind of Matrix object?  Why not a 3D array?  a 4D
array? or higher-dimensional?

The root of the matter is that Mathematica simply does not have a
general concept of an array of any number of dimensions, with automatic,
corresponding display for the various dimensions.

This is unlike APL (and its successor, J), some of whose array-oriented
approach has been carried over to Mathematica -- but, unfortunately, all
grafted onto a single data structure, namely, lists.

I would be cautious about recommending a new type of object Matrix
without revamping the foundation of Mathematica so as to handle
arbitrary-dimension arrays as primitive objects.  But to do that would
doubtless break a lot of user code!

Murray Eisenberg                     murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
80 Fearing Street                    phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Amherst, MA 01002-1912