Re: Newby Q: How to specify reals

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110558] Re: Newby Q: How to specify reals
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 07:28:18 -0400 (EDT)

On 6/24/2010 4:43 AM, AES wrote:

> 3)  And, because of Mathematica's generally dysfunctional documentation
> -- e.g. "ComplexExpand" is not even mentioned in tutorial/ComplexNumbers
> and if it's mentioned in ref/Conjugate, it's buried somewhere down in
> the nested and closed subsections and therefore cannot be _searched_ for
> using any kind of Find command.

It's really not that hard to find. I just tried searching the
Documentation for "complex numbers".

The first two hits are "Complex" and "Numbers".

The third on the list, highlighted with a nice orange bullet, is
"Complex Numbers". This takes you directly to guide/ComplexNumbers,
which has all the basic functions for working with complex numbers,
including this:

ComplexExpand -- expand symbolic expressions into real and imaginary parts

Seems pretty clear to me.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont