Re: Lauching application from an icon

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg110562] Re: Lauching application from an icon
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 03:08:33 -0400 (EDT)

What do you mean by: "launch a Mathematica application...directly from an

It is specific notebooks that are "launched" by Mathematica. In Windows, at
least, you can simply drag a notebook to the desktop and create an icon.
When you double-click the icon the notebook will open. I suppose one could
also put the notebook on the task bar and open it with a single click. (The
notebook itself might have initialization cells that load any packages in
the application, and maybe even bring up the main documentation guide page.)

Often, when I am working on some project that has many notebooks in a
folder, I create a shortcut icon for the folder on the desktop. It's easy to
create these and then delete them when you are no longer using them.

I don't know if that is what you are thinking of.

I also have a shortcut icon on my desktop that links to a folder that
contains links to the common folders that I often use.

I also have a CurrentBackup folder on my desktop (not a shortcut) where I
can copy current notebooks I am working on as a temporary backup between
system or DVD backups.

David Park
djmpark at

From: Chris Degnen [mailto:degnen at]

I have still found no way to launch a Mathematica application in
the front-end, directly from an icon (or via cmd).
On a previous thread:

the following were suggested, but they don't work.  Any ideas?

(cmd line)  start foo.nb
  nb = NotebookOpen["MYFILETOEXECUTE.nb"];
  SelectionMove[nb, All, Notebook];
  FrontEndTokenExecute[nb, "EvaluateCells"];

MathKernel -noprompt -run "(*some command*);Quit[]"