Re: Elliptical gear calculations

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg110654] Re: Elliptical gear calculations
  • From: Fred Klingener <gigabitbucket at>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 08:09:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Jun 29, 6:59 am, dean k <deaken.... at> wrote:
> Through two identical elliptical gears rotating about their centers, I
> would like to calculate the torque and angular velocity ratios as a
> function of the rotation angle of one of the gears.  I'm not a
> mathematician, but an engineer working on a personal project I thought
> would be interesting.  It is quickly becoming more interesting than I
> expected
First thing to do is to look at Harry Calkins Demonstration on
elliptical gears.

That'll illustrate the geometry of the mesh and it'll let you convince
yourself of the relationship between the gears. As a basis for your
model, download the code and have a look at it. Harry knows a few
things about Mathematica.

Then someone (maybe you or I) should redo the tooth profiles. :-)

Fred Klingener