Re: Highlighting the line that is being currently evaluated

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107858] Re: Highlighting the line that is being currently evaluated
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 04:43:00 -0500 (EST)

Geico Caveman wrote:
> Hello
>
> Within each active cell, is it possible to highlight the specific line
> that the Evaluator / Kernel is working on ?
>
> I have a sequence of calculations, some of which take some time, and I
> would like to have some visual feedback as to where the overall
> evaluation is at (I am not interested in timing the statements - they
> are as efficiently coded as they can possibly be). This is purely a
> cosmetic / visual feedback requirement.

A little while ago, I wrote a debugger package called DebugTrace
(available free from my website) that I think is easier to use than the
standard built-in debugger. I described it at the autumn conference in
champaign last year.

While it does not have this feature at present, it might be an
interesting capability to add, because being able to see a program in
action in this way, can often reveal interesting information.

It would have to be an extra option, and probably fairly coarse-grained
in time (say 1 sec) because requesting the frontend to make the changes
might take far longer than the program itself!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk