(is there) anyway to tell that Dynamic is running?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107937] (is there) anyway to tell that Dynamic is running?
  • From: divisor <congruentialuminaire at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 05:52:02 -0500 (EST)

Hello mathGroup:

I am trying to understand Dynamic[] better by customizing some of the
examples in the VirtualBook chapter about this. Specifically, I read
that Dynamic[] runs in the front-end.

Sometimes (partcularly when I have a bug,) the system appears to be
hung. When I run a regular command, it shows "Running.." in the window
title, so if it is taking too long, I can kill it (Alt-.).

But when Dynamic is running there does not seem to be any visual
indication. Is there a way for me to tell this as a user (so I can
take some action)? And if there is, do I need to kill all of Mathematica if
something I have given to Dynamic[] is hung?

TIA.

Roger Williams
Franklin Laboratory