clearing denominators and eliminating square roots in *huge*

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107969] clearing denominators and eliminating square roots in *huge*
  • From: dantimatter <google at dantimatter.com>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 05:27:40 -0500 (EST)

Hello Community of Mathematica Users,

My collaborators and I are having a nasty problem that I'm hoping you
might be able to help us move beyond:

After spending quite a few hours Solve[]-ing an equation, Mathematica
returns an extremely large solution where all the terms contain
complicated denominators and square roots.  We've set the solution
equal to zero and would like to now simplify it by getting rid of all
the denominators (e.g., by multiplying through by all of them) and the
square roots (e.g., by multiplying by their conjugates).  Is there a
good way to do this?  Mathematica seems to get hung up when we try to
use Together[], Collect[], Simplify[], etc.  Is there another function
that would be better to use?  Perhaps there's some other way around
this problem?  Any suggestions you have would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Dan