Remote Kernel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108029] Remote Kernel
  • From: Michael Knudsen <micknudsen at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 04:00:49 -0500 (EST)

Hello everybody,

I would like to connect to a remote kernel in Mathematica, and
according to the Mathematica documentation this should be fairly easy.

In "Evaluation -> Kernel Configuration Options", I have added a new
kernel with the following options:

Remote machine
Kernel program: /Applications/Mathematica.app/Contents/MacOS/
MathKernel
Remote user: foo
Remote host: bar

My username is the same on both the local and the remote machine, and
the ip-address is correct. I can establish an ssh-connection to the
remote machine, and I have even allowed login without password (via
the authorized_keys2 file). Alas, I keep getting the following error:

"The kernel iMacKernel failed to connect to the front end. (Error =
MLECONNECT). You should try running the kernel connection outside the
front end."

The funny thing is that a mathkernel process is actually started on
the remote machine, when I do the things above.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Michael Knudsen