Re: Re: Re: learning calculus through mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108058] Re: [mg108015] Re: [mg107971] Re: learning calculus through mathematica
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 04:06:17 -0500 (EST)

I have never seen  or heard any convincing reason why using a CAS should
make it possible to understand and learn better those areas of
mathematics which are fully accessible to a student with only a pen and
paper. In fact I can see a few reasons why the opposite might be the
case. In many situations I can see clear advantages in performing
algebraic manipulations "by hand" or even "in the head", which is, in my
opinion, the only way to develop intuition. The same applies to
visualisation - while being able to look at complicated graphics can
often be a big advantage, I always insist on students developing the
ability to quickly sketch simple graphs by hand on the basis of
qualitative analysis of analytic or algebraic data. This is again
essential for developing intuition and I am not convinced that doing all
this by means of a computer will provide equivalent benefits.

However, I have no doubt that learning to use a CAS should be an
essential element of learning calculus and the reason for that is not
that a CAS enables one to understand better those aspects that have
traditionally not required it but because it opens up completely new
areas for exploration and well as greatly increasing the efficiency of
many traditional computational tasks. In other words, I see using a CAS
as much an integral part of modern calculus as knowing the basic
techniques of differentiation and integration etc. In the case of the
great majority of people who are learning calculus today one can say
that if they ever find themselves using calculus outside their calculus
class they will be using some kind of CAS to do so. The most efficient
way to learn how to use a CAS in calculus is to combine learning to use
the CAS with learning calculus itself. I don't know if students who use
a CAS in their calculus courses are better at the kind of things that
can be done without a CAS than students who learned calculus the
traditional way, but I am sure the former (potentially) could do many
things that the latter couldn't and that it is these kind of things that
most often come up "in the real world".

Andrzej Kozlowski

On 5 Mar 2010, at 10:33, David Park wrote:

> Certainly not every student should be learning Mathematica at the
earliest
> possible age. But maybe those who are seriously interested in a
technical
> career and are motivated should. Maybe it wouldn't be a part of
regular
> secondary school education, but be done on their own, or in math
clubs, or
> via mentoring over the Internet.
>
> Maybe it's true that CAS have not made a significant positive impact
in
> technical education. Does that mean people should give up? Maybe we
haven't
> properly learned how to use them yet. When new technologies come in
they are
> often used to just make the old approaches more efficient. Usually
what is
> needed is entirely new approaches. Instead of mass lectures and mass
exams,
> maybe there should be more self study, more mentoring and more
mathematical
> essay writing. As things stand now I have the sneaky suspicion that
students
> just don't know Mathematica well enough and it is another obstacle to
> getting through the course. So, why should they do better?
>
> Also, Mathematica off the shelf is not a great educational tool. It
does too
> much at a high level with commands like Solve, Integrate or Limit.
That's
> all fine, but students need something I call "hierarchical depth", the
> ability to do mathematics at different levels and see how things work.
It is