bad Mathieu functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108226] bad Mathieu functions
  • From: becko BECKO <becko565 at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 06:35:19 -0500 (EST)

I am no expert in Mathieu functions, but I don't think this gives the right result:

ce1[r_, q_, z_] := MathieuCPrime[MathieuCharacteristicA[r, q], q, z]

Plot[I ce1[3, q, I], {q, 0, 1000}]

In another system you get a smooth graph, making very small oscillations about zer o as q increases. I've read that Mathieu functions are difficult to deal with. I guess that Mathematica's implementation doesn't support arbitrary values of the parameters. I made a bug report in the WRI site. Maybe someone here has some comments to share? It would be nice if there were a package or something with more robust implementations of Mathieu functions.