Re: ZTransform for a non-causal unstable signal. How to make Mathematica gives correct result?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108221] Re: ZTransform for a non-causal unstable signal. How to make Mathematica gives correct result?
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 06:34:22 -0500 (EST)

>>On 10.03.2010 07:45, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to find the Z transform using Mathematica for the signal
>>
>>      (-(1/2)^n)*UnitStep[-n - 1];
>>

> Hi Nasser,
> Mathematica calculates the unilateral Z transfrom. This is clearly zero in your
> case. But in your case you may get the bilateral by setting n -> -n in f:
>
> f = (-(1/2)^(-n))*UnitStep[n - 1];
> ZTransform[f, n, z]
>
> Daniel

I had a second look at the above solution, but the result obtained still
does not match my hand calculation actually, Here is the output from the
above code:

-(2/(-2 + z))

Which can be rewritten as

   1
-------------
1- 1/2 z

In addition, when using  GenerateConditions -> True option, I get that |z|>2

*But* the result I should get is

   1
-------------
1- 1/2 z^-1

With |z|<1/2.  Notice the z^-1  vs z in the denominator.

so, more tweaking is needed I think. getting close, but Just changing the
"n" from +n to "-n" did not seem to do the trick?

I need to look more into this. But at least now I know what the correct
definition of Ztransform used by Mathematica is. All of this could have been
avoided if the Ztransform was defined to be 2-sided. Now each time I have a
left sided signal, I have to play tricks to feed it to the Ztransform. Also,
If I have 2 sided signal, I have to break it up and play more tricks, which
can lead to errors.

--Nasser