Re: Trouble with coupled quadratic equations where the solutions are

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108313] Re: Trouble with coupled quadratic equations where the solutions are
  • From: Ray Koopman <koopman at sfu.ca>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 07:57:51 -0500 (EST)

If you're willing to accept numeric solutions then try solving for the
distances instead of the coordinates. If dd is the matrix of squared
distances, and h = IdentityMatrix[n]-1/n, then -.5(h.dd.h) should have
3 positive and n-3 approximate-zero eigenvalues. Sort the eigenvalues,
drop the last 3, minimize the sum of the absolute values of the rest
with respect to the unknown distances. Constraints, such as some
distances being known multiples of others, are easy to impose.

To get the coordinates (with the origin at the centroid of the
configuration), multiply the unit-length eigenvectors corresponding
to the nonzero eigenvalues by the square roots of their eigenvalues.