applescript

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108327] applescript
  • From: "alexxx.magni at gmail.com" <alexxx.magni at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 05:12:22 -0500 (EST)

hi everybody,
after using Linux machines since forever, I am now using a macbook,
and I just discovered what is IMHO the one and only feature where OSX
leaves Linux (and Win of course ;-) behind: the universal ability to
make apps communicate one with the other via Applescript.
(dont flame me: I know I can link Mathematica with C apps and so on...
the point is just that Applescript is universal & painless to use...)

Anyway: I just installed Mathematica, and found out in the Applescript
editor that Mathematica seems indeed scriptable: opening its
dictionary reveals "Required suite", "Standard suite" and "Mathematica
suite", with names and verbs with which to operate.
Unfortunately, I am completely new to Applescript and dont know how to begin.
Googling around I discovered MathLink for Applescript
(www.unisoftwareplus.com/products/mathlinkosax/), but it seems an old
product, and moreover I'd like to communicate with Math without
installing anything else.

So I just want to ask if any of you has experience on scripting
Mathematica from the outside!

thanks...

alessandro