Re: Butterworth filter

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108505] Re: Butterworth filter
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 02:47:13 -0500 (EST)

"Paul Floyd" <root at 127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:hnva5f$87t$1 at smc.vnet.net...

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:03:35 +0000 (UTC), Nasser M. Abbasi
>   <nma at 12000.org> wrote:
>> "Luigi B" <l.balzano at gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:hnkfa8$po0$1 at smc.vnet.net...
>>> Dear All,
>>> I have a table {{x,y}} of measured data with significant noise.
>>> I am not into signal processing and I would like to filter this table
>>> with a Butterworth type of filter.
>>> Does anyone have a suitable routine?  (That would allow changin the
>>> order of the filter as well, like the function 'butter' in another
>>> system).
>>
>> This is not much help to you now, but there used to be a Mathematica
>> add-on
>> application called signals and systems which had this and more filters:
>>
>> http://documents.wolfram.com/applications/signals/FilterAnalysisandDesign.html
>>
>> Too bad this application is no longer available.
>

> Hi
>
> I'd be interested in this as well.
>
> Do you know who produced it, and whether it'd be possible to get it
> working again with Mathematica 7?
>
> A bientot
> Paul

My guess it came from Georgia Tech Research, if you look at this page, more
information can be found about DSP for Mathematica, and I think, from
looking at it, it that this is the origin of the application that WRI had on
its web page:

http://users.ece.utexas.edu/~bevans/projects/symbolic/spp.html

I could be wrong ofcourse.

Try to contact WRI. But it is not a supported application any more so good
luck getting any answer.

Also, I generated PDF of the documents of this application here

http://12000.org/my_notes/faq/mma_notes/Mathematica_for_signal_processing.htm

It will be really neat if these functions became part of Mathematica itself
in version 8. I mean the code is there, so it just needs to be updated to
run on Mathematica ! As I said, I can't get it to run on version 7. I did
not spend time to find out why.

--Nasser