Mathematica front-end very sluggish under Linux

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108584] Mathematica front-end very sluggish under Linux
  • From: Leo Alekseyev <dnquark at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 04:42:56 -0500 (EST)

For a few months now I have been using Mathematica 7.0.1 under Ubuntu
9.10, and I'm finding the front end to be very sluggish.  Scrolling is
slow, and when I am editing a part of a large code block, it sometimes
takes a few seconds for the characters displayed to catch up with my
typing.  Sometimes I am tempted to switch to my old Windows laptop for
long Mathematica sessions, or to simply use Emacs to edit files and
load them into the math kernel's CLI.  (This is not to mention
frequent crashes when copying/pasting large cell groups, or the fact
that Mathematica seems to always have a couple of Java processes
running even when it's idle that take up about 15% of CPU each).

I am wondering if other Linux Mathematica users are observing
similarly sluggish behavior of the front-end.  Is it common?  Is it a
misconfiguration of some sort on my end?..  I'd appreciate any
insight!

--Leo