Re: An open note for all the Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108615] Re: An open note for all the Mathematica
  • From: Narasimham <mathma18 at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 04:26:07 -0500 (EST)

On Mar 24, 2:32 pm, Pratip Chakraborty <pratip.chakrabo... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Dear MathGroup Members,
>
> I have been using Mathematica for a long time now. I like it; actually it
> will be better to say that I am kind of in love with it. However in the
> versions of Mathematica 6 and 7 we saw many new features that are really
> great. But I was thinking if the developers have any plan to increase the
> numerical capabilities of Mathematica in near future. In our institute which
> is a quite renowned one in the world we use Mathematica but we also face a
> group of coworkers who just don't get enough convinced with the numerical
> power of Mathematica. They are not completely wrong with their point of
> view, I must admit that. But with my experience I feel that Mathematica
> still has much scope to incorporate cutting edge algorithms that can extend
> its numerical power to a much greater extent. I will specify some of them in
> the following.
>
> Another system has extended its parallel capabilities to cover vast areas of
> mathematics with their release in 2010 we must not stay behind. Another part
> of hardcore numerics is finite element based computation. Mathematica still
> possess very naive support for doing such things. There is no finite volume
> or mesh free method implemented within Mathematica PDE solver. Once we build
> a simple frame work for such things we can carry on further to enrich it and
> update it with latest algorithms. Mathematica specially has this quality to
> achieve them as it has such beautiful building blocks in the core supported
> with elegant functional programming paradigm.
>
> Another missing stuff is documentation for interfacing C/C++ programs. There
> is very few or no example that properly shows how powerful technology
> Mathematica brings with it. Though parallel computation supported
> Mathematica must now make many of its functions for manipulation and
> creation of List to use the multicore architectures. Most institutes now
> have large vector machines and with a little step further Mathematica can
> deliver tremendous power by using this powerful hardware at their full
> force.
>
> These are some of the things that I, being a Mathemaica lover, would like to
> see implemented in near future. Of course I understand that Mathematica is a
> proprietary software and the developers might not like or have the freedom
> to answer or even give any hint to my questions but still I could not help
> writing this post because I really like the software and want it to be
> unbeatable in the field of computational science and no need to mention that
> I dream that one day my colleagues will be convinced and will consider that
> Mathematica is worthy to give a try even for most of the  industrial scale
> numerical problems.
>
> At last if given the chance for this post to appear in the group I will not
> really look forward for a concrete answer from the core developers but a
> [...]

Hi Pratip,I feel the same way, both about FEM internal calculation and
of course my own fondness to Mathematica. In the threads here

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread/thread/89456f6dcde28c2e/d2013e717269bdd4?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=ansys+export#d2013e717269bdd4

I had earlier raised the question of a surface geometry modelling
defined in Mathematica (example of a rectangle meshed strip pasted on
a cone as shown by ParametricPlot3D with strip mesh getting bent along
geodesics) --- for direct input  to Ansys and later model solution.

But It is seen that such wholesale export is not done, e.g., IMTEK
handles only internal computation of FEM for a reduced model by
Arnoldi algorithm etc. using Mathematica in the following:
http://simulation.uni-freiburg.de/downloads/mor4fem

Even in the thread here on topic  =93 how to assemble  a stiffness
matrix?=94 ,

http://www.colorado.edu/engineering/Aerospace/CAS/courses.d/IFEM.d/IFEM.Ch25.d/IFEM.Ch25.index.html

internal FEA assembly procedures between element stiffnes matrix and
equation solutionstages  are handled on Mathematica.( that could be
handled by e.g., another system also?).

I do not know if I am missing  something.  I feel geometry capability
of Mathematica in individual parts surpasses that of Ansys,and a
direct import into Ansys could be considered for future support.

Best Regards,
Narasimham