Fourier transform of exponential function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108632] Fourier transform of exponential function
  • From: ALittleDog <leqia.he at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 06:08:13 -0500 (EST)

I am trying to do a Fourier transform of a simple exponential
function, by using the following code:
FourierTransform[Exp[-t], t, =F9]
By Mahtematica 5.0, I obtain
\sqrt(2 Pi) DiracDelta[ I + =F9 ]
By Mathematica 7.0, I obtain a repetition of the original input as
FourierTransform[Exp[-t], t, =F9].

I search to look for a classical solution, but most of them are
talking about FourierTransform[Exp[-Abs[t]], t, =F9]. Indeed, what is
the classical solution of this problem? Why 5.0 version and 7.0
version try to figure it out in a different manner? Thanks!