Re: 15! permutations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108667] Re: 15! permutations
  • From: Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 05:38:41 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Looks like too large of a number to me, and not just for Mathematica, but
pretty much any language.

In[2]:= (15!)^2

Out[2]= 1710012252724199424000000

A simple estimate for a single 3Ghz machine gives about 10^11 hours to
perform (15!)^2 operations, assuming that we have 1 operation per clock
cycle. Looks like you have to greatly reduce your search space. In addition
to that, for problems of this type I'd consider using CUDA or something
similar to parallelize your problem.

Regards,
Leonid