Printing large PDF files generated from Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108685] Printing large PDF files generated from Mathematica
  • From: M Kelly <michaelkelly1444 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 05:11:04 -0500 (EST)

Hi fellow Mathematica afficionados

I am having difficulty printing large PDF files generated from
Mathematica.
I first generate the material as ExpressionCell[] and TextCell[]
objects and generate the Mathematica document containing these cells
using the command nb = CreateDocument[{Cells}]. I then use
NotebookPrint[nb, file.pdf] to generate the corresponding PDF file.

I have a large number of Chart[] objects embedded in many of the
Cells. I also have to embed the output in the low level Cell[]
structure so that I can arrange the material on separate pages in the
final PDF document. This document is typically about 1.5 Mbs in size.
When I open the file in Adobe Acrobat and it looks fine.

But when I try to print the PDF file it generates an error message
saying that it is trying to 'flatten' the contents of the file. I look
at the size of the print file and it is enormous: usually hundreds of
Mbs in size - far larger than the pdf file itself. Eventually the
effort to print the document consumes the computer and it crashes!

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?
Has anyone tried setting the Adobe Distiller program, which controls
the printing process, to another setting? It appears that Adobe has
great problems trying to interpret either Mathematica chart pictures
or Mathematica cells. Which is it? Any help on this problem would be
strongly appreciated

Best Regards
Michael