Transformation of 3D Objects to 2D Parallel-projection

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108711] Transformation of 3D Objects to 2D Parallel-projection
  • From: Peter Breitfeld <phbrf at t-online.de>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 06:55:40 -0500 (EST)

At school one normally uses a parallel-projection to visualize 3D
Objects. I wrote some routines to map 3D-coordinates to 2D using the
transformation

proj[{x_,y_,z_}]:={y-x/2,z-x/2}

But this doesn't work for all kind of 3D-objects. At the moment I can
use my routines to map objects build of Point[], Line[] and Polygon[]
primitives.

My problems are: If the graphic to be mapped contains a
GraphicsComplex, the display-options (color, thickness,...) go away.

So I tried to use GeometricTransform, but it seems to me, that only
transformations 3D->3D or 2D->2D are possible.

So my question: Is it possible to have routines, which will work on any
kind of 3D-primitives including Cuboid[], Cylinder[] etc, which will
preserve Thickness, Color etc

Thanks in advance
Peter

Peter Breitfeld, Bad Saulgau, Germany -- http://www.pBreitfeld.de