Re: priorities between @, @@ and //

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108764] Re: priorities between @, @@ and //
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 05:03:50 -0500 (EST)

Am 29.03.2010 14:20, schrieb guerom00:
> Hello all,
>
> Just a quick question : what are the priority between all those
> operators ? I mean :
> - what is f@x//g ? Is it f[g[x]] or g[f[x]]
> - what is f@@{a,b}[[2]] ? Is it f[b] or (f[a,b])[[2]]
>
> You see what I mean... What are the rules for the priority of all
> those operators ?
>
> TIA :)

I think that this is all documented somewhere, unfortunately its not
that easy to find. On the other hand I hardly ever find it necessary to
look that stuff up, thanks to FullForm I will always get the actual
rules shown, including not only undocumented features but also potential
bugs :-)

FullForm[f@x//g]
FullForm[Hold[f@@{a,b}[[2]]]]

If in doubt, I usually use the explicit function names and not the
shortcuts, that is Apply instead of @@ and [] instead of @ or // and Map
instead of /@ . Using the longer FullForm-Syntax always makes the
priorities explicit, which I often like better than saving a few
letters/keystrokes...

hth,

albert