Re: derivatives and subscripts

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108793] Re: derivatives and subscripts
  • From: Christoph Lhotka <christoph.lhotka at univie.ac.at>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 06:32:30 -0500 (EST)

Hi, as you may already know, the extra parentheses are not a problem
from a calculational point of view (Mathematica will treat them
correctly). I would leave them at the stage of calculations.

If it is just a matter of format, try (at the end of your calculations)
something like:

1)

expr=Derivative[1,0][Subscript[f,1,2]][x,y]

form=Derivative[ders__][Subscript[f_,sub__]][arg__]:>Subscript[f,sub,ders][arg]

expr/.form

therefore, the first subscripts will refer to the indices, the second
half to the derivatives. Another possibility would be to

2)

form=Derivative[ders__][Subscript[f_,sub__]][arg__]:>Derivative[ders][ToString[Subscript[f,sub],StandardForm]][arg]

expr/.form

To get the "old" format of Mathematica, but please note, that the header
of the function is now converted to a string.

Christoph