DistributeDefinitions statement appears to create memory leak

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109562] DistributeDefinitions statement appears to create memory leak
  • From: Todd Allen <genesplicer28 at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 06:06:34 -0400 (EDT)

Hi everyone,

   Has anyone ever seen a DistributeDefinitions statement lead to run-away memory consumption?

   I am using the following command:

DistributeDefinitions[y,z];

inside a module. y is a variable with 2384 items, consuming 104856 bytes & z is a variable with 2184 items consuming 429344 bytes.

When Mathematica reaches this statement in my program, I see it launch 2 kernels, and then it gobbles up 1.6 gigabytes of memory before running out and shutting down the kernel.  The next line in the program is never executed because Mathematica spends about 30 seconds consuming memory before it shuts down.

Would you have any ideas what may be happening?
Todd