Re: Giving several functions the same argument

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109602] Re: Giving several functions the same argument
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 07:04:44 -0400 (EDT)

functs = {Sin[#1] &, Cos[#1] &};

Through@functs[x]
{Sin[x], Cos[x]}

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Simon Pearce [mailto:Simon.Pearce at nottingham.ac.uk]

Hi Mathgroup,

I have a list of pure functions, which I wish to apply to the same
argument. I can't seem to be able to thread the list of functions over
the argument in a simple way, all the commands like Apply and Map etc
take a single function. I can do it using Table and Part, but it seemed
like there should be a simple command that I'm missing.

For example:

In[1]:= functs = {Sin[#1] &, Cos[#1] &};

In[2]:= functs[x]

Out[2]= {Sin[#1] &, Cos[#1] &}[x]

I want to get the result {Sin[x],Cos[x]} out, without having to use
something of the form:

In[3]:= Table[functs[[i]][x], {i, 1, 2}]

Out[3]= {Sin[x], Cos[x]}

Which seems like it'd be less efficient when I try and use it on long
lists of functions.

Thanks,

Simon