Re: How to Explain This Behavior of Simple Procedures?

Leonid:

Thank you for your careful explanation; very helpful. I was mystified by the
error message, which seemed to complain that a symbol was not a symbol!  But
now, it makes perfect sense!

Richard:

In my actual situation (not the simple case I described), the function in
question was already returning a list of values; which is why my misguided
idea occurred to me. Thanks for your sugestion.