Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109681] Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 06:29:50 -0400 (EDT)

Alexei Boulbitch wrote:

> I believe that I faced a more serious problem that prevents a broad using of Mathematica for creation
> and keeping documentation. Namely, already several times (to be more precise, about 5 to 6)
> the notebooks I have created appeared corrupted and impossible to repair.

I would say that I have not seen this problem for several versions - and
even then, it may have been my fault, and I wonder if your problem lies
elsewhere.

You don't say which operating system you use, but one way to get corrupt
files is if the write to disk never completes - say because a PC
(without battery backup) is switched off rather than closed down, or if
a removable storage medium is unplugged before the write process is
complete - or, obviously, if you have a damaged disk.

Sometimes the front end seems to get hung while performing dynamic
operations, and I can imagine that saving your work in such a situation
might cause problems.

Do you have a specific scenario that provokes this problem - if you do,
you might want to share the details here, and also inform Wolfram support.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk