Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109716] Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 07:24:59 -0400 (EDT)

"Kevin J. McCann" <Kevin.McCann at umbc.edu> wrote in message
news:hse3j9$327$1 at smc.vnet.net...

> I use Mathematica for ALL my class notes (physics grad and undergrad), and
> find that the typesetting, particularly equations, is far superior to
> any other word processing system.

It is definitely better than things like Microsoft Word and equation editor,
but I still find using Scientific word (SW) which produces Latex as final
output much easier to use to typeset my reports with.  SW is all GUI, many
more options for typesetting (it is designed just for that part) and for me
it is much faster and easier to type math equations into it, and the final
output looks better. (You can't beat Latex quality for final output).

I'd like one day to do the final report I am working on in Mathematica as
well, much easier, all in one place, but it is not there for me, may be in
version 8 this will be improved. So, now I do the "computing part" in
Mathematica, copy any results over, and write the final report and in SW.

--Nasser