Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109708] Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 07:23:32 -0400 (EDT)

Per R=F8nne wrote:
> Dominic <miliotodc at rtconline.com> wrote:
>
>> Based on what you wrote I gather you're not familiar with StyleSheets in
>> Mathematica.  That's what you need to learn how to use.  You either use
>> an existing Stylesheet or create your own.  The StyleSheet then has
>> various cell templates that you choose to enter various formatted data
>> into your notebook.  For example if you wanted to enter a block of
>> descriptive text, you would choose the "text" style, and then as you
>> enter text into that cell style, it's formatted as simple text although
>> embedded math can be entered as well.  There is a whole process for
>> managing, editing, creating, and using stylesheets in Mathematica.  For
>> example, if I just wanted to startout using the Book stylesheet, I would
>> choose File/New/Styled Notebook/Book.  That loads a default stylesheet
>> in a default "book" style.  But you would need to understand how to use
>> those styles and edit the styles and I'm not aware of a good reference
>> for that.
>
> I have come a long way since I wrote my original post, partly through
> private mails partly through guessing and reading in Stephen Wolfram's
> "The Mathematica Book 5th Edition". I have now solved my original
> problems but of course there's lots of stuff I haven't been through yet.
>
> I'm still waiting for answers from Wolfram as to whether I can update my
> Mathematica 5 TE which has been "discontinued and no longer supported".
> Otherwise, I'll just use my old TE on my old G4/867 Macintosh running
> MacOS X 10.4 'Tiger' [I can then also run Classic apps]. I won't give up
> my Snow Leopard on my newer computers and I can wait the 15 months it
> will take for me to be able to purchase a Student's Edition. =A390 the
> price will then be, rather than =A3195 for a "Home Edition".
> --
> Per Erik R=F8nne
> http://www.RQNNE.dk
> Errare humanum est, sed in errore perseverare turpe

I wonder if Snow Leopard can run VirtualBox (free to download). This
would let you run a viritual Windows or Linux inside it. Running the
appropriate version of Mathematica in that environment might be a good
work around, but I would check with Wolfram Research first.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk