Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109734] Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 05:34:57 -0400 (EDT)

With respect to how typeset math should look, I recommend writings of
Donald Knuth.  And just because he invented TeX does not mean he's
biased in this regard; in fact, he invented TeX because he was
dissatisfied with the level to which some typeset math had degenerated
and saw the need for a suitable tool to produce typeset math in the
modern computer era.

Often much or most math typeset by Mathematica is "good enough". But as
a matter of simple fact it's just not up to professional mathematical
typesetting standards such as one sees in math society journals, or even
in the ArXiv.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305