Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg109734] Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 05:34:57 -0400 (EDT)

With respect to how typeset math should look, I recommend writings of
Donald Knuth.  And just because he invented TeX does not mean he's
biased in this regard; in fact, he invented TeX because he was
dissatisfied with the level to which some typeset math had degenerated
and saw the need for a suitable tool to produce typeset math in the
modern computer era.

Often much or most math typeset by Mathematica is "good enough". But as
a matter of simple fact it's just not up to professional mathematical
typesetting standards such as one sees in math society journals, or even
in the ArXiv.

On 5/13/2010 1:40 PM, Kevin J. McCann wrote:
> Murray,
> Here we have a difference of opinion. LaTeX and all the other Tex's
> require that "code" be written, which is subsequently processed to
> generate the final output. To me this is not at all natural and I
> observe that others who use it are frequently asking "how do I ...";
> whereas, Mathematica allows me to focus on the equations and words. Now, I know
> that with LaTeX there is "infinite" control over how things look; so,
> you can make it look just right, but, for me at least, the default look
> of equations and text in Mathematica is just fine, and I really don't
> want to spend time making it look more right.
> That said, I rely on the Stylesheet to determine the look and feel of
> the document, and, as I said in an earlier post, this is not at all
> intuitive. So, here is where I have to spend my time, but once the
> template (Stylesheet) is done, then that's it. After that documents are
> simple, especially equations, which with the keyboard shortcuts are a snap.
> Just my take,
> Kevin
> Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>> Unless you don't know LaTeX, or do know it but don't regard it as a
>> "word processing system", then surely you're joking about Mathematica
>> being "far superior to any other word processing system."

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305