Re: Latex, Mathematica, and journals

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg109808] Re: Latex, Mathematica, and journals
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 06:13:10 -0400 (EDT)

"Murray Eisenberg" <murray at> wrote in message
news:hsr890$bda$1 at

> For Windows, too, there's the proprietary BaKoMa system, which provides
> essentially synchronized viewing of source as you typeset and even
> allows you to type text directly into the viewer window. Aside from LyX,
> this is probably the closest you can come today to WYSIWYG for LaTEX.

Scientific Word is all GUI front end to Latex.  You do not need to even know
any latex to use. Its been around since 1992.

One thing I really like about it, is that it includes a symbolic engine
inside it. I can select an expression in the screen, and then select the
operation I want to do on the expression, then the result is computed and
output comes out right there where I have the mouse pointed after the
expression is, and I can then use this result and continue typing.  It is in
a way  a Mathematica in reverse.  Mathematica is a symbolic engine first,
and typesetting second, while Scientific word is typesetting first, and
symbolic algebra second.